Sunday, October 17, 2010

To Kill a Mockingbird aka the greatest book ever!


Ok, so you might be wondering what happened to Lord of the Flies? I'm sorry I just couldn't do it, it took me about 5 days to read 60 pages, and even for me that's slow! So I decided to take the advise of a very wise librarian. When I went to return a few books, and told her I had not read them, she looked at me, smiled and say "Oh honey, it's not like you have a write a book report about them" So I put down Lord of the Flies, and went to my next selection To Kill a Mockingbird. Have any of you guys read it?? You really should, it is AMAZING.
This is probably the first classic, that after reading it, I thought, YES, that is a classic, and I can see why! It is thought provoking, well written, innocent, yet serious. I find that although it covers very serious topics, it is also clean. I just can't say enough good things about this book.
It also made me think of many John Grisham novels, except a lot cleaner, and a way better story. Perhaps it was the southern setting, or the court case, or the question of how truly unprejudiced our society is today, or perhaps all of the above. I'm just saying if you like John Grisham, you will love this book.
Funny side story, I was supposed to read this book in grade 10 (I think?), and did not read it, instead I tried watching the movie, but then it was in black and white, so I fell asleep. What was I thinking?!?! Just wondering if anyone has any old high school novels that you've read as an adult, and thought, why didn't I read this before?
Two thumbs up for this book.

2 comments:

Julie Spackman said...

I love this book! as soon as I started reading your post, I was thinking "didn't she have to read this in high school? didn't everybody?" lol so I'm glad you clarified that :)

if you're liking southern classics, I totally recommend Five Smooth Stones. Also, Gone with the Wind, but that one's just a gimme :)

Gicela said...

One of my absolute favourites. I never tired of reading it or teaching it year after year!